TAFE South Australia News

Fashion student wins Sheepvention Australasian Young Designer award

Aug 19, 2014

2014_Sheepvention_FashionTAFE SA final year fashion student Jessica Nicholls will attend the prestigious Istituto Marangoni in Milan after winning Sheepvention’s Australiasian Young Designer Wool award.

Jessica is the second TAFE SA Advanced Diploma of Fashion Design and Technology student be awarded the Handbury Scholarship, with alumnus Hannah Virgo-Colbey winning last year.

Principal fashion lecturer Helen Jansson is proud of Jessica and her cohort who placed in all categories at the Australasian Young Designers Wool Awards 2014.

‘TAFE SA has again proved it is a national contender in fashion Industry training by winning this award two years in a row. We are constantly delighted with the achievements of our students, many like Jess, who travel far from home to study with us.’

Growing up in Woomera, it is a dream come true for Jessica to attend a two-week residential course in fashion at the Istituto Marangoni in Milan, Italy.

‘I never imagined having the opportunity to study at a top fashion school in Milan! I don’t really know what to expect but I know it will be an experience of a lifetime,’ Jessica said.

Jessica drew inspiration for her elegant evening gown from the cracked dirt of her outback hometown.

'A highlight of my dress was the cracked dirt etching I did and I was so happy to be able to bring my design to life with laser cutting technology.’

On what she loves about studying at TAFE SA, Jessica commented on the easy going learning environment and individual support of the fashion lecturers.

Jessica is currently working on her graduate collection which is a mix of feminine and edgy designs with a 50s influence.

‘I really believe I am starting to develop a unique design aesthetic and I can’t wait to show my friends, family and people in the fashion industry,’

With a fashion study stint in Milan and an internship at a bespoke bridal house in London next year, Jessica is looking to the future.

‘It’s a dream of mine to travel to different fashion capitals to learn from industry professionals, London was going to be my first destination and I am so grateful for the chance to make Milan another.’

TAFE SA offers a wide range of fashion and footwear award and short courses including the brand new suite of Bachelor of Creative Arts courses, delivered in partnership with Flinders University which will be launched on 11 September at TAFE SA Tonsley Campus.

Find out more about Fashion courses at TAFE SA.

Translate: