Adelaide College of the Arts

AC Arts News

AC Arts News

Bright future for Adelaide College of the Arts set design student

Oct 07, 2014

2014_DimpleShah_SetConstructorMumbai-born set design student Dimple Shah brought to life a 1945 outback Australian town in the Adelaide College of the Arts production Summer Rain.

Dimple embraced the challenge to design the set and costumes with extensive research including travelling to regional South Australia to study the architecture. 

Moving to Australia from India at 15 with her family, Dimple is now referencing Russel Drysdale paintings as an influence in her design.

“Coming from an Indian background it was very challenging to design this show (Summer Rain) as I had to restrict myself by not showing my culture in my work, which I think is still very visible.  The other challenge was to make sure that all I put into my design belonged to the era as the audience would know much better than me,” said Dimple.

A designer and creator at heart, Dimple chose to study Live Production Design for the hands-on course work and real world experience.

“I enjoy set designing as I love how the script challenges you to create a space where 20 scenes have to work one after the other with different locations,” she said.

Now in the final year of her course, Dimple credits studying at Adelaide College of the Arts as the best three years of her life.

“I have not only learned a lot but have developed my personal skills and met some lovely people. It has also given me a lot of opportunities for my career ahead,” said Dimple.

Educational Manager, Sean Parsonage said Dimple is a shining example of how practical vocational learning has transformed her skills and experience into an assertive and confident set constructor.

“Adelaide College of the Arts is extremely proud of how much this young woman has grown and matured, a bright future awaits her,” Mr Parsonage said.

Find out more about Technical Production and Design courses at Adelaide College of the Arts.