Adelaide College of the Arts

AC Arts News

AC Arts News

International success for AC Arts graduate

Dec 18, 2012

Working on farms in Italy, absorbing art and culture, and practicing Italian might sound almost like a holiday to some, but for graduating Visual Arts student Loique Allain it’s preparation for her printmaking future.

The TAFE SA Adelaide College of the Arts (AC Arts) graduate will spend four weeks at the Venice Printmaking Studio early next year, and plans to use the weeks beforehand becoming acquainted with her new surrounds.

She was recently awarded a Helpmann Academy grant to take part in the large-format printing residency in Venice, following the recent success of her previous Helpmann Mentorship with Master Painter Theo Tremblay at his Cairns studio, Editions Tremblay.

“This opportunity gave me so much direction and I am very grateful to the Helpmann Academy and its patrons,” Loique said.

“This has now led to the opportunity to go to Italy, and extend my printmaking practice that step further, as well as build valuable international contacts within the global visual arts community.

“This residency will give me the opportunity to explore Italy and its contemporary culture and language which will influence the artwork I create in the studio.”

Loique began her studies at AC Arts in 2009 where she fell in love with the graphic quality of large linoleum and wood-block prints.

“Studying at AC Arts has opened up new opportunities within my arts practice,” she said.

“Throughout my studies I have developed a greater understanding of printmaking and the concepts within my artwork.”

Loique’s first solo exhibition, including prints created at both Editions Tremblay and the Venice Printmaking Studio, is expected to be shown in Adelaide mid-2013.

Find out more about Visual Arts at the Adelaide College of the Arts.