Adelaide College of the Arts

AC Arts News

AC Arts News

AC Arts Student Finalist in Stencil Art Prize

Oct 25, 2012

Third year TAFE SA Adelaide College of the Arts Visual Arts student Dan Mansutti has placed in the 2012 Australian Stencil Art Prize with his work ‘Atlas II’.

His unique and colourful piece was inspired by the Greek God ‘Atlas,’ who reminds Dan of how it can feel sometimes to be an abstract painter.

“From the outset, my intention was to push the medium in a new direction, creating something entirely unique,” he said.

“I have been exploring the idea of taking what is essentially a static medium such as stencils and applying the paint in a way that frees the stencils and gives them movement.”

The weight of the earth appears to be released from Atlas’s shoulders in Dan’s piece, which was created with several layers of spray-painted stencils and places him amongst finalists including Fletch Cuts and Remi Picheta.

“It’s pretty amazing to think that I would figure amongst the top stencil artists in the country and I consider myself extremely fortunate to be selected as a finalist in the Australian Stencil Art Prize,” Dan said.

He is now working towards creating works for his solo exhibition in Adelaide next year.

Find out more about visual arts at the Adelaide College of the Arts.