Adelaide College of the Arts

AC Arts News

AC Arts News

AC Arts visual arts graduate chosen for national exhibition

Apr 13, 2012

TAFE SA Adelaide College of the Arts (AC Arts) visual arts graduate Jesse Price is one of 36 emerging artists chosen for the prestigious, nation-wide exhibition Hatched at the Perth Institute of Contemporary Arts from 21 April to 10 June.

Ms Price - who was nominated by her lecturer Mr Gregory Ackland – is honoured to represent AC Arts and South Australia at the national graduate showcase now in its 21st year.

Ms Price was surprised by her selection for Hatched and said: “When I received the letter I had to read it several times to make sure I was reading it correctly. I was completely over the moon!”

2012 seems to be Ms Price’s year. She has also been chosen as one of 26 students from around Australia to exhibit at FotoFreo’s FutureGen 2012 in April and received the Adelaide City Council acquisitive award at the recent Helpmann Academy Graduate Exhibition.

Graduating from the Bachelor of Visual Arts and Design last year, Ms Price majored in photography and her ‘kaleidoscope-like’ work is inspired by the urban environment, architecture and design.

“I like to create images from photographs, taking the viewer on a journey through a landscape they might be familiar with, then literally flipping, reversing and cutting that landscape into something new and unique.”

“The circles in my work are also a trademark of mine, they act as a frame to the busy image within it, but people have also told me it reminds them of a kaleidoscope which I really like the idea of too,” Ms Price said.

On what she loved about studying at AC Arts Ms Price said: “I can't think of anywhere else in Adelaide that you are studying next to ballet dancers, actors, fashion designers and TV producers. It was the perfect environment to study; all the creativity surrounding you was such an inspiration to keep creating yourself.”

Bachelor of Visual Arts Coordinator and Head of Photography, Mr Gregory Ackland said: “It’s really reassuring to see Jesse’s dedication and ability being recognised beyond our (AC Arts) classrooms, in that way it benefits both our department as well as Jesse, especially with the attention of curators, gallerists and collectors viewing her work in these national exhibitions.”

Looking to the future, Ms Price has plans to study in Europe next year or take up an artistic residency and explore as many photography opportunities as she can. Whatever she decides Ms Price has a bright future ahead.

Find out more about visual arts courses at the Adelaide College of the Arts. 

For more information on Jesse Price Photography visit her website.