Adelaide College of the Arts

AC Arts News

AC Arts News

AC Arts actress lands Richard III lead

Sep 14, 2011

TAFE SA Adelaide College of the Arts (AC Arts) third year acting student Matilda Bailey will take to the stage as Richard III in the upcoming college production of Shakespeare’s classic from 21 – 24 September.

In her final year of the Advanced Diploma of Arts (Acting), Ms Bailey is looking forward to the challenge and opportunity of tackling the traditionally male role of ‘the hunchback king’.

Ms Bailey is drawn to strong characters, so when there was a casting call for an actress to play Richard she knew she “had to give it a try” and landed the lead role.

“I think that Richard being played by a female is an exciting way to approach this play (Richard III). In order to keep Shakespeare exciting and relevant, productions need to give their audiences new insight into the play and I think this casting will do that,” Ms Bailey said.

On the playing the Machiavellian role of Richard, Ms Bailey said “Richard is a very challenging character, but not because of his gender; his deformities and his very peculiar and hateful mind are the bigger challenges for me as an actor.”

Ms Bailey’s love of performing grew from her childhood in Hong Kong performing in semi-professional musicals as a chorus member. However it was Ms Bailey’s role in a Year 12 play that confirmed acting as her career path.

“I decided to challenge myself by putting my hand up for a large part in my Year 12 play. This role made me realise how the more I challenged myself the more I loved acting.”

Ms Bailey loves studying at AC Arts, “It (AC Arts) is an amazing space, and the building is so full of life and art! The acting course trains us in voice and movement, as well as acting technique – which is essential to being an actor.”

At the moment, Ms Bailey is deep in the dark mind of Richard but is looking forward to her graduating play The Laramie Project in December. On her future, Ms Bailey is already planning for after graduation. Along with fellow classmate Chelsea Evans, Ms Bailey is creating an original work to be launched during the Adelaide Fringe Festival.

AC Arts Creative Director, Christie Anthoney said: “Having just won three Adelaide Theatre Guild Awards for productions at AC Arts, I can recommend them to all theatre goers. The standard of production is extraordinary and Richard III will be no different.”

Richard III, presented by AC Arts Acting, Design and Technical Production students
When: 20 - 24 September at 7.30pm and matinee 23 September at 11.00am
Where: Main Theatre, Adelaide College of the Arts, 39 Light Square Adelaide
Tickets: $20 adults/ $10 concession. Purchase through Venuetix or phone 8225 8888

Find out more about Performing Arts at Adelaide College of the Arts.